At 01:48 AM in the morning, many people in the Greek city of Thessalonika have been scared by a short shock. The epicenter of the earthquake was at only 10 km from the city.
- Many people have felt the earthquake. The epicenter was located in the bay, close to the beach.
- Thessaloniki is a city with a population of 354,290.
- Earthquake-Report.com does not expect any serious damage out of this earthquake. Main reasons : weak magnitude, short shaking, focal depth at a reasonable 24 km and epicenter in the bay waters.
- The Greece Institute of Geodynamics in Athens reports a Magnitude of Ml4.1 at a depth of 24 km.
- As could be expected, No reports of damage have reached the authorities.
- The Great Thessaloniki Earthquake was an earthquake that occurred on 20 June 1978, at 22:03 local time, and registered a Mw6.6 . It was felt throughout northern Greece, Yugoslavia and Bulgaria. It was the largest seismic activity in the area since 1932.
Green arrow : epicenter of the earthquake
Most important Earthquake Data:
Article is taken from: http://www.arknow.net/
Moderate short earthquake close to Thessaloniki, Greece